*2018-2019 will be a transition year to the current policy. This means students should adhere to the policy outlined in last year's handbook. This will give families time to order gym uniforms and new clothing throughout this year and plan accordingly for the future. Thank you.*
Earrings shall be no larger than the size of a quarter
Pocket books or purses are not permitted in the classroom
No outerwear should be worn in the classroom (coats, gloves, hats)
No headwear (hats, wave caps, bandanas)
No visible undergarments
General uniform requirements for males and females:
- Acceptable: Pants, Docker/Dickie/Capri style, dress pants, shorts, skirts (no mini or slits), jumpers
- Pants can have an elastic waistband, and all pants must be worn securely at the waist
- Colors: khaki or navy blue
- Shorts or skorts are permitted until November 15th and may be worn again beginning on March 15th; they must be no shorter than 2 inches above the knee.
- *Leggings or tights can be worn under skirts only and must be solid (white, light blue, navy, black).
- Denim or denim resembling materials, including jegging and joggers, spandex materials, baggy, cargo, painter type pants or yoga pants.
- Acceptable: Collared Polo shirt or solid button down shirts of school colors.
- Acceptable colors are navy blue, royal blue, light blue, or yellow (solid colors only)
- Solid navy blue sweaters (cardigans, v-necks, crew necks, or vests) or school approved crew sweatshirts (purchased through the PTO) may be worn over collared shirts
- Long sleeve shirts of solid school colors, or white may be worn under polos or T-shirts for gym days
- Chains and necklaces must be tucked in shirt
- No hoodies
Foot Apparel - Dress, casual, or athletic shoes
- Must have back to stay on foot (no slippers/slip-ons)
- Must be tied or velcroed
- Boots are permitted from November 15th until March 15th, unless extenuating weather circumstances.
- Socks should be white, navy, black, or gray.
Physical Education Uniform
- Students in grades K-8 may wear the school approved gym uniform on gym days (be purchased through the PTO for consistency, all returns go back to the school)
- The uniform consists of:
- Bottom Colors are heather grey, and royal blue
- Can be school logo t-shirt or non logo shirt (purchased through the PTO)
- these t-shirts are only allowed on GYM days
- Tops: T-shirt or crew sweatshirt - Heather grey, royal blue (purchased through the PTO)
- Mesh shorts/ sweatpants (grey or royal blue)
- Footwear - sneakers only
- The uniforms will be available for purchase through the school/PTO for a low price. (the PTO is selling at cost) Order forms will be available in the first month, and half way through the year. Students who do not purchase the school approved gym uniform are expected to come to school in their regular uniform.
Disciplinary actions for non-compliance:
Non adherence to the dress code can result in the following progressive discipline:
1st offense Warning
2nd offense A call home for uniform change and warning
3rd offense 1 administrative detention
4th offense 2 administration detentions
5th offense + Administrative decision
In certain cases the school may provide a uniform to students inappropriately dressed.
Dress Down Days
Dress down days will be the first Friday of every month.
On dress down days, please keep in mind that attire should be tasteful, appropriate, and conducive for a learning environment. The following is not permitted:
- No spaghetti straps, sleeveless, or tank tops
- No visible undergarments
- No inappropriate logos or insignia
- No tears/holes in any clothing
- No headwear
- No backless shoes
- No hoodies
- No leggings unless worn under appropriate bottoms
- Families who have religious reasons to not participate in the school uniform policy may “opt-out.” To do this, parents must meet with the school principal to discuss the reasons and sign an opt-out agreement.
- Students who use the opt-out procedure may wear clothes other than the school uniform; this attire will be determined on an individual basis in consultation with the school administration
- Please contact the principal’s office to schedule an appointment for this summer if you wish to participate in the opt-out plan.
*The Magnolia School Uniform Policy was made with the input of representatives of all stakeholders within the school and community. Research has proven that school uniforms provide for an atmosphere of learning with less distraction, an enhancement of pride and sense of community, and less peer pressure and bullying based on appearances. We appreciate your effort in conforming to this policy.
These websites have great deals on uniforms throughout the year: